Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Behind the Mask

I decided to link up with Renee at Wont Hurt a Bit and Nurse Kitty at RN:Real Newbie for Medical Monday. This post is going to give y'all a little more insight on how I make my money for my honey.

I'm a scrub tech, surgical technologist, OR nurse, surgeons assistant, whatever you want to call it. I do surgery. More specifically, back and brain surgery.  I work with the same doctor in the same OR with the same staff everyday.  When you work with someone 8-12 hours a day Three days a week, you kind of become a family and we fight and argue like family too.


My surgery day is usually really laid back. Would you believe that we jam out to The Red Hot Chili Peppers on Pandora everyday while we operate?! Our conversations range from religion to movies to crazy patients to our personal lives..

Before I became a scrub, I had no idea what went on in surgery or how it even happened. So if you don't know, I'm about to fill you in. (All of my info is based on my hospital and how I do things my way. This may vary at other places.)
The OR team consist of  4-5 people: Anesthesiologist or CRNA, Circulating nurse, 2 scrubs, And your surgeon.
We get the room ready for your surgery. Gathering equipment and supplies. Then we set up the field. This means that everything we will use to operate with is sterile and clean. One scrub will pass the instruments during the case while the other scrub assist the surgeon. Both positions are equally important. A good scrub knows what the doctor wants before he knows he wants it.
We are with our patient from the time they come through the door until the time they roll out of the door. Not only do I help the surgeon during the surgery, I help anesthesia if they need it.
Its a very interesting job to say the least. Especially the cases I see on call.

As of this past summer I officially started nursing school. Im currently in my first semester. I will finally be through May 2014.... Three semesters left to go!!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with Medical Mondays! My husband is a neurosurgeon and has often commented that a good scrub tech makes all the difference. They less they have to ask for things the better. You have a tough job! When he finished residency they put together a binder for him with all the tools and equipment he likes to use for each case for him to give to his next team. Best of luck with nursing school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband hates it when he gets a scrub tech he's never worked with before. He says it always takes awhile to get in sync and until then it's not as seamless as it it with his regulars. A great OR team makes all the difference in the world (and his mood when he returns home!) I love his team. We always have such a great time at the holiday parties!
    Now following and look forward to reading more! Thanks for linking up for Medical Monday and hope to see you on the grid every month! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with nursing school! With your experience in the medical field, I can only hope your experience in school will be better than most. :) how long have you been a scrub tech?
    (thanks for linking up!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a cool job you have! I loved reading this description- it is very rare to come across a blogger who in involved with brain surgery. In fact this was the first time ever! Just found your blog and have loved getting to know you better. Hope you don't mind if I follow along!

    new follower :)
    Bonnie
    Bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved reading this! Sounds so interesting! I hated surgery when I did it in nursing school...mostly because I passed out twice! Hahaha. How embarrassing! Needless to say, I didn't go into surgery after graduation. I work in the ER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire you and all you have done and what you are working towards. This post amazed me! I say this because as a teacher I do not think I can do what you do and so I admire your bravery.
    I am following you now and I loved reading your post last Friday. :)
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an amazing job I have to say. I do not think I could ever ever do that, (blood etc) but wow. That is so amazing.
    xoxo
    Samantha,
    betterblondesam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete